Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dream submitter John F. has no plans for an Everglades trip

I will probably have this one again with all the news of escaped pythons.

This is a recurring dream that slithers its way into whatever pleasant dream I'm having. I'm outside, usually walking along trail or crossing a creek. I see a snake...it's big and long and I come way too close to stepping on it.

I take a deep breath...no big deal, just turn around and move away from it. When I turn, there's two more...somehow I didn't see them the first time. Now I have to try and maneuver to the side without getting near them.

But the path that was clear seconds ago now has several long, active snakes of varying sizes and colors. They're not attacking me...yet. But I know if I step on even one of them, a painful death awaits.

And now there's nowhere to step. They are on all sides of me and moving fast. I can't risk accidentally ticking one off. There's no way out, no one to call for help, and nowhere to run if one of them just decides it's hungry...

I wake up in a cold sweat.

Two variations of this dream that I can remember:

1. I'm walking along a trail with my 20-pound dog. He's harmlessly getting his nose into things as he tends to do. Suddenly a giant green and black snake juts out of nowhere and swallows him whole.

2. I'm on a swing in a state park playground or someplace like that. I suddenly notice the growing number of snakes below me as I swing back and forth. Not only do I have no escape, I get the horrible feeling that even to stop swinging will provoke one of them to attack...

No comments:

Post a Comment